Educational Options in Fulton County
Fulton County Schools believes families should be allowed to choose the best education options for students, given their unique needs.
These choices are offered through a number of initiatives working to provide various opportunities and flexibility to families. Please learn more about your options below.
Interested in learning about school setting or curriculum options?
These options are based on curriculum offerings or educational settings and include:
- Charter Schools
- Magnet Programs
- Open Enrollment Transfers
- Career, Technical & Agricultural Education (CTAE).
Interested in learning about a school transfer based on need?
- Fulton offers Hardship Transfers to eligible students with specific needs or with special requirements.
- Students served with an IEP may also be eligible for transfer based on Special Needs Scholarship (SB10).
- Eligible 504 students may qualify for transfer under SB47 (504).
Interested in learning about our virtual and flexible learning options?
- Fulton Virtual is a supplemental program in which middle and high school students who are enrolled in other Fulton County school buildings, can take courses asynchronously and virtually.
- Fulton Academy of Virtual Excellence (FAVE) is a full time, online school that allows students in grades 3-12 to attend classes in a more flexible format outside of the traditional 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., face-to-face school day. Instruction includes a blend of live, online lessons and self-directed lessons from our teachers.
- Independence High School is Fulton County's non-traditional high school of choice. Independence HS is organized on a semester plan and employs a Blended Learning format. This means students learn through two processes, a combination of the online delivery of content and instruction and the more traditional classroom approach. With a rolling admissions policy, prospective students have the opportunity to apply to Independence at the beginning of each month, August through May.
Charter School Application Window
(Varies, but generally)
December 1 - February 28
Fulton Academy of Virtual Excellence
Open Enrollment Window
February 20 - April 21
Fulton Virtual Program
Fall Semester - Summer to mid-Sept
Spring Semester - Jan to mid Feb
Summer Semester - March to June
January 1 - February 28
November 15 - January 15
Open Enrollment Window
May 1 - May 15
SB-10 Application Window
March 1 - May 1